Why Do Address Lookup Solutions Improve Conversion?
Address finders allow customers to lookup and validate address details as they go through a sign-up or checkout process. This helps to shorten the form and can significantly reduce the time it takes to complete registration or checkout. By allowing your visitors to enter their address more easily, especially on a mobile device, you can often significantly increase your conversion rate. Hotel Chocolat achieved a 19% uplift in each step of their basket funnel following implementation of a smart address finder.
Real-time verification also improves the accuracy of data by correcting typos at source and enhances the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns. This will also reduce delivery problems as it improves the quality of your customer database. Additionally, address verification helps to combat fraud by identifying when bogus information is being entered.
Call centres can also use the same solutions to capture and validate customer details. Shelving retailer Tufferman significantly reduced both outsourced call centre costs and shopping cart abandonment on its website. Using PCA Predict’s address lookup and validation solution the call centre was able to cut the time it took to take an order by between 30 to 60 seconds, making a huge cost saving and also improving the customer experience.
When implementing an address finder check it regularly. I recently came across this address finder on the betfair.com desktop site. When I selected the address from the drop down menu it only populated the first input field and the other fields were left empty. This triggered an error message because the Town and Postcode fields were not populated. This made the address finder pointless and probably reduced their conversion rate as it would annoy visitors.
11 Address Verification Solutions:
1. Address doctor from Informatica: Verifies addresses from
over 240 countries. The Fast Completion service will verify an address as a visitor enters each part of it and will auto-complete with the best match. This is ideal for organisations that need to validate information quickly, such as online retailers.
3. CapAdresse: A French company that will verify addresses in 192 countries. It offers solutions for entering an address in a single line or multiple fields and uses real-time validation to improve data quality.
4. CraftyClicks: A UK and Global address look-up solution that uses the visitor’s post code in the UK to provide a list of addresses for the user to select from. Also offers a Geocoding API to calculate distance between any two postcodes in the UK. Updated from the Royal Mail PAF database. The global solution allows visitors to enter either their zip code or street name to provide a list of possible addresses.
5. Data8: A global provider that offers a comprehensive range of data validation, cleansing, supply, and management solutions. Data8‘s shopping cart web services includes auto-fill validation, address, phone, and email validation.
For web forms and checkout Data8 has two solutions; PredictiveAddress which uses predictive search technology to auto-complete addresses, and for the UK, PostcodeLookup, which retrieves addresses from the Royal Mail’s Poscode Address File (PAF). Data8 also integrates with leading shopping cart solutions including Magento, Opencart and Prestashop.
6. Google: A free auto-complete address lookup solution for forms from Google Developers. You must include the Powered by Google logo when displaying any returns from the lookup tool. If you only require an address and have no other verification needs this
solution is worth checking out as it’s free! However, the solution is not recommended for the UK as Google are unable to use the Royal Mail’s database.
7. Matchcode: Provides UK and global postal address, email address, mobile and landline telephone number validation. Covers over 240 countries and includes commercial, names and geo-coding datasets. Software is easy to use, install and integrate across all major platforms and applications.
8. Melissa Data: Their API parses, standardizes and validates U.S. and international addresses for over 240 countries and territories. The solution puts addresses in the standardised mailing format for each country and supports any UTF8 language. The tool will also add missing components, including post codes, region etc.
The Express Entry solution uses type-ahead search functionality that makes it easy to enter and complete accurate addresses with up to 50% fewer keystrokes. It works on both U.S. and international addresses.
Real-time email inbox verification removes up to 95% of bad emails and ID verification will add missing address, email ad phone information.
9. PCAPredict (Previously PostCodeAnywhere): The Capture+ is a global smart address finder which suggests results as soon as the user begins typing. Features a single click auto-fill for the whole address form and works in over 240 countries, correctly formatting international addresses. Other solutions include mobile number validation, email validation, store finder, Geocoding and payment
10. Postcoder: Offers solutions for address lookup, auto-complete, validation, geocoding, IP address to location and email validation in over 240 countries.
11. SimplyPostCode: A UK address lookup solution that uses the visitor’s post code to provide a list of addresses for the visitor to select from. Updated daily from the Royal Mail PAF database.
Address finders and verification tools are win-win solutions as you will improve the usability and conversion of your forms. At the same time you will also benefit from better quality customer contact data
for your marketing activities
Thank you reading my post. If you found this useful please share with the social media icons on the page.
You can view my full Digital Marketing and Optimization Toolbox here.
To browse links to all my posts on one page please click here.
- About the author: Neal provides digital optimisation consultancy services and has worked for brands such as Deezer.com, Foxybingo.com, Very.co.uk and partypoker.com. He identifies areas for improvement using a combination of approaches including web analytics, heuristic analysis, customer journey mapping, usability testing, and Voice of Customer feedback. By aligning each stage of the customer journey with the organisation’s business goals this helps to improve conversion rates and revenues significantly as almost all websites benefit from a review of customer touch points and user journeys.
- Neal has had articles published on website optimisation on Usabilla.com and as an ex-research and insight manager on the GreenBook Blog research website. If you wish to contact Neal please send an email to email@example.com. You can follow Neal on Twitter @northresearch, see his LinkedIn profile or connect on Facebook.