The Importance Of Word of Mouth:
Research suggests that Word of mouth (WoM) is the main driver for between 20% to 50% of all purchasing decisions. There is no reason to believe online WoM or user generated content is any less important than offline WoM. Due to our social nature people are heavily influenced by the behaviour and opinions of others.
This is especially the case when faced with uncertainty, such as when buying something for the first time. This is why displaying ratings for products or services can be so powerful. A large number of ratings helps build trust and credibility of your site and provides guidance for customers on which products people are most satisfied with. This helps to reduce anxiety about your site and the products you sell.
Here are six commonly used e-commerce product rating and review platforms to help build trust and credibility on your site. For other digital marketing solutions see my free conversion toolbox and my conversion marketing glossary which has many real-life examples from A/B tests that I have completed.
E-Commerce Product Review Software:
Offers a suite of applications via a cloud based user generated content engine that helps you capture, manage and respond to customer input to grow your business. This covers 5 core products;
- Conversations encourages customers to review products, ask questions, give answers and share stories.
- Connections manages responses to shopper questions & reviews across their network of retail sites.
- Local makes authentic customer reviews available on your website and on the sites of local providers that carry your brand.
- Curations pull authentic, moderated social media content into your buying experience by displaying it on your website.
- Media engages active shoppers online and in-store via their ad targeting technology.
Bazaarvoice claim their clients see an average 65% lift in revenue per visit and 52% uplift in conversion on product pages with ratings and reviews. They also see a 98% average conversion uplift when shoppers engage in Q&A on major retail sites. Has over 3,500 clients.
A rating and reviews service that provides qualified reviews from real customers who have made a purchase from your organisation. Every review can be shared across social platforms and with the Feefo Facebook app you can automatically position reviews into the heart of your social engagement strategy.
As a Google Licensed Content Partner, Feefo submits ratings and reviews on behalf of merchants to be included in to Google’s listings. Offers a Free trial period to try out the service.
Provides a consumer engagements engine for over 1,000 brands to collect customer reviews and answer questions from consumers.
- The consumer engagement engine powers ratings and reviews and Q&A solutions that have resulted in more than 22 million reviews.
- Their syndication network distributes reviews to all major retailers and search engines.
- Measures social traffic, engagement and content generation and determine how they drive traffic, conversion and sales.
- Provides strategy, implementation, moderation and management services to ensure best practices are established.
A single platform for company, product and in-store reviews.
- Product and merchant reviews to increase trust online.
- Retain control of the process via real-time moderation, reply function and customisable review request emails.
- Review booster – delivers star ratings in Google by contacting previous customers to obtain a boost in the amount of reviews you collect.
- Social integration – links up to your Twitter account so that you are constantly updating fresh content. Every time you recieve a 4 or 5 star rating it will update your Twitter feed.
- Their iOS & Android app allows you to manage and receive email alerts shortly after a customers leaves a 1 or 2 star review to provide the opportunity for an immediate response.
Has over 3,000 customers using their platform.
The system is available in English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese. Free 30 day trial available.
A suite of solutions including product reviews that is deeply integrated with social media which means that it is easy to share customer reviews with your business’s Facebook page and Twitter account which drives qualified traffic. The core features cover:
- Review generation – Delivers automated, fully-customisable and mobile responsive emails after purchase which includes upsells in all review request to increase lifetime value. A one-step submission process also increases the number of reviews received.
- On-site – Full customization of widgets, with all reviews labelled with a trust badge, the ability to ask buyers questions and includes in-depth information on each reviewer to help buyers qualify relevance.
- Retention – Focus on lifetime value of each customer through the use of post-purchase coupons, ability to comment on reviews and community Q&A.
- Marketing – Social integration allows you to automatically share your best reviews on Facebook and Twitter to increase their reach. Yotpo ads and email upsells leverage your reviews to bring quality traffic to your site.
- SEO – Increases your SEO visibility by showing your reviews and ratings on Google and offers the ability to display your reviews across Google Shopping and search with product listing ads.
Thank you for reading my post. If you found it of interest please share this post by clicking on the social media icons below. Also see examples of social proof in my glossary of conversion marketing.
You can view my full Digital Marketing and Optimization Toolbox here.
To browse links to all my posts on one page please click here.
- About the author: Neal provides digital optimisation consultancy services and has worked for brands such as Deezer.com, Foxybingo.com, Very.co.uk and partypoker.com. He identifies areas for improvement using a combination of approaches including web analytics, heuristic analysis, customer journey mapping, usability testing, and Voice of Customer feedback. By aligning each stage of the customer journey with the organisation’s business goals this helps to improve conversion rates and revenues significantly as almost all websites benefit from a review of customer touch points and user journeys.
- Neal has had articles published on website optimisation on Usabilla.com and as an ex-research and insight manager on the GreenBook Blog research website. If you wish to contact Neal please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow Neal on Twitter @northresearch and view his LinkedIn profile.