Understand Your Customer Experience:
Do you really understand how and where your visitors interact with different screens on your website or app? Usability studies are often used for this purpose but people change their behaviour when they know they are being observed (Hawthorne effect) and these are not genuine user-initiated visits.
Visual analytics solutions can provide this insight as they allow you to watch real customers browse your site without their knowledge. You can generate heatmaps of where they move their mouse or click on areas of your site that are not clickable. They can measure your
conversion funnel so that you know where the big drop-off points in your user journey are. Form analytics tell you which fields in your sign-up form cause your visitors most problems and those that they completely miss.
These tools, such as Decibel Insight and Click Tale for websites, are essential for effective website optimisation. New providers have also recently entered the market (e.g. Hotjar) and are offering budget priced solutions targeting small and medium sized
Solutions For Native Mobile Apps:
1. Appsee: Mobile app analytics platform that records user sessions, touch heatmaps, crash recordings, conversion funnels and provides in-app analytics reporting. Appsee captures screen taps, swipes and action using an SDK integrated into your app.
Advanced filters allow you to find the most interesting recordings to understand what makes users abandon registration or how loyal users interact with your app. You can control the ratio of recorded users and choose to record specific users based on the screen
they visit, their demographics, OS version and more.
Offers two plans, with a 14 day Free trial on the Premium plan. No prices displayed on their website.
2. Flightrecorder (Now part of Click Tale): A mobile app analytics platform which provides screen recordings of user actions, touch heatmaps, crash reports and app analytics reporting.
The tool records touches, user location, location accuracy, notifications, battery state and level, network status, device orientation, language, time zone, device notifications, crashes
No pricing information as the solution is now Click Tale for Apps.
3. UXCam: A mobile app analytics tool which automatically captures screen recordings, and touch interactions on your app to provide heatmaps and identify user drop-off points.
Offers two plans. Up to 20,000 monthly user sessions for $59 a month and up to 100,000 sessions for $249 a month.
Solutions For Websites:
1. ClickTale: One of the most established providers, Click Tale offers a full suite of visual analytics solutions, including heatmaps (mouse moves, clicks, attention, scroll reach & link analytics), session playback recordings, real-time monitor, conversion funnels, and form analytics, Plus with the acquisition of Flightrecorder it now has full app analytics reporting as well.
For websites the advanced filtering feature allows you to search for recordings of specific scenarios or events and segment your heatmaps (e.g.by new and returning visitors).
The page console provides you with in-page web analytics about
any individual page including engagement time, time on the page, page views, the bounce rate and lots more. Site reports can also be generated to show pages by load speed, engagement, clicks, scroll reach and errors. It is capable of integrating with A/B testing tools such as Maxymiser to allow you to compare visitor behaviour between test variants.
No pricing information is displayed on their site, but the cost is mainly based on page views. Data is saved for 30 or 60 days.
2. ConvTiger: A new session recording tool that focuses on observing how your visitors browse and navigate around your site.
Price: A Free basic plan offers up to 50 recordings for a single website. The Standard plan costs €19 a month for up to 500 recordings on a single website and stores data for 14 days. For a more comprehensive offering the Premium plan costs €79 a month for up to 5,000 recordings, covers 3 websites and stores data for 30 days. The Platinum plan at €229 provides up to 20,000 recordings over up to 10 websites and stores data for 90 days. An enterprise plan is also available on request.
3. Crazy Egg: Primarily a heatmap tool that shows clicks, mouse movements, and scroll maps. The overlay tool shows you the number of clicks on each element on the page and Confetti displays every click on a page segmented by source of traffic. It is able to handle multiple domains, iFrames and flash objects.
All plans are Free for the first 30 days, but if you to to Toole.io you can get 3 months free. The Basic plan costs just $9 a month for up to 10,000 visits a month, 10 active pages and daily reports. The Standard plan which is priced at $19 a month goes up to 25,000 visits per month and 20 active pages. Pro, their most comprehensive plan costs $99 a month and offers up to 250,000 visits per month, up to 100 active pages, hourly reporting, advanced filtering, mobile heatmaps and multiple users.
4. Decibel Insight: An enterprise tool with a full suite of solutions
including dynamic heatmaps (clicks, attention, scroll, time and attribution), session recordings, form analytics, advanced segmentation, and email alerts.
Attribution heatmaps enable you to map interactions to content, and monitor clicks, goals and revenue. The time heatmaps allows analysis of visitor behaviour during your sites busiest time to spot and target the dead time.
The session recordings accurately records dynamic content interaction, drop-downs, responsive sites, carousels & forms. Decibel Insight also offers a mobile solution, and integrates with web analytics, voice of the customer and A/B testing tools.
There is a choice of either a Free plan or an Enterprise plan. The Free plan goes up to 5,000 page views per month and offers starter heatmaps, session recordings, date and device filtering and
pre-built channels. Sessions recordings are kept for just 7 days and data is retained for 1 month.
behavioural alerts. Data is saved for 12 months and session recordings 45+ days.
5. Hotjar: A recent start up that offers standard heatmaps, form analytics, session replays, conversion funnels, surveys, feedback polls and recruits user testers. For websites that are fairly simple
and don’t have many pages this is an ideal tool which I use extensively for the websites that I manage.
It does support cross-domain sites, but not single page applications which are on its product roadmap. A very cost effective tool though and one to monitor as it develops its level of sophistication.
Basic, a Free plan samples up to 2,000 page views per day, 300 session recordings, 3 funnels, up to 1,000 visitors per heatmap and forms, plus 3 polls, surveys and recruiters.
The Pro plan is just €29 per month and samples up to 10,000 page views per day and up to 2,000 heatmaps for each page. Both the Basic and Pro plans save data for 90 days. If you go to Toole.io you can get the Pro account Free for 3 months.
The Business plan is just €89 per month for an unlimited number of websites. The product samples up to 20,000 page views per day per website and up to 10,000 visitors per heatmap. It offers unlimited polls, surveys, recruiters, and saves data for 180 days.
6. Hoverowl: A heatmap and session recordings provider which supports all devices. Their advanced heat mapping and session recording system tracks and separates reports for each type of device.
14 day Free trial available for all four plans. The Elf Owl plan costs $12 a month and captures up to 3,000 session recordings and heatmap visitors a month. Saves recordings for 30 days.
The Wise Owl plan costs $99 per month and captures 250,000 recordings and heatmap visitors per month. Retains recordings for 60 days.
7. Inspectlet: Offers heatmaps (mouse movements, clicks and scroll), session recordings, form analytics and conversion funnels.
The session recording feature has advanced filtering capabilities
Conversion funnels allow you to define a series of pages that leads towards a goal. Form analytics features a hesitation report which shows how much time on average visitors are hesitating on each input field. The hesitation algorithm tracks a variety of signals that
helps to determine whether a visitor is engaged or hesitating.
Inspectlet has a Free plan for a single website, and up to 100 session recordings a month together with the heatmap suite. The Micro plan costs $39 per month (up to 5,000 recordings) for a single website and account user.
Accelerate is their more comprehensive plan which is priced at $299 a month (up to 125,000 recordings & 20 websites). This plan allows for multiple account users and provides conversion funnel analytics and in-depth form analytics. They also offer an Enterprise plan for larger organisations.
8. Luckyorange: Offers a full package including heatmaps (mouse movements, clicks and scrolls), session recordings, conversion funnels, form analytics, live chat and visitor polls. The dashboard allows you to monitor real-time analytics to see how many people are on your site, compare historical statistics and see what keywords, locations, referrers, tweets, languages and more are driving traffic and behaviour on your site.
The session recordings feature allows you to search by behavioural tags so that you can see for example visitors who abandon their basket or visited a product page but did not check-out. The form analytics provides data on which fields are most often the last abandoned, time to start, time spent on each field, the order visitors
filled out each field and which fields are repeated the most.
7 day Free trial available on the Small plan. The Small plan costs $10 per month and gives you up to 50,000 page view per month across 3 sites and data is stored for 30 days. The X-Large plans is priced at $100 a month for 100,000 page views and 25 sites. All visitors are recorded until the monthly maximum is reached and will not re-start until you either upgrade or the month ends.
9. Mouseflow: A comprehensive tool with heatmaps (move movements, clicks and scrolls), session recordings (including mobile gestures), link analytics, and form analytics. The form analytics lets you watch visitors’ keystrokes and how the form fills as they interact with your site.
Offers a limited Free plan for up to 100 recordings a month for a single website. Subscription plans start with the Small plan for $15 a month. This provides up to 1,000 recorded sessions for one website and a month’s storage of data.
The Extra Large plan costs $299 a month and gives you up to 100,000 recorded sessions for 30 websites and 3 months storage. An enterprise plan is also available for over a million recorded sessions.
10. Sessioncam: A full service tool which offers heatmaps (mouse movements, clicks, scrolls and browser attention), session recordings (including from mobile devices) , conversion
funnels, and form analytics.
You can use their API to feed data recorded in real-time by Sessioncam into your own CRM systems to respond automatically to targeted events. Sessioncam also integrates with third party solutions such as Google Analytics, Campaign Monitor, Cheetahmail and Olark.
Sessioncam targets organisations with over 500,000 page impressions a month and does not display any pricing on its site. Cost is based upon page impressions.
11. TruConversion: A recently launched solution that now out of beta for the last few months. This offers a comprehensive range of tools including session recordings, heatmaps, user polls and surveys, form analytics, and conversion funnels.
Pricing: No details available.
12. UserReplay: Concentrates on providing session recordings for all your visitors. This allows you to monitor and identify behavioural insights to fix usability, technical and performance problems with
your website. UserReplay is particularly good for helping resolve customer disputes, fraud prevention and abandon basket issues.
No pricing information is displayed on their website.
Wow, you’ve got to the end of my post, well done! Thank you and if you found it useful please share using the social media icons on this page.
You can view my full Digital Marketing and Optimization Toolbox here.
To browse links to all my posts on one page please click here.
- About the author: Neal provides digital optimisation consultancy services and has worked for brands such as Deezer.com, Foxybingo.com, Very.co.uk and partypoker.com. He identifies areas for improvement using a combination of approaches including web analytics, heuristic analysis, customer journey mapping, usability testing, and Voice of Customer feedback. By aligning each stage of the customer journey with the organisation’s business goals this helps to improve conversion rates and revenues significantly as almost all websites benefit from a review of customer touch points and user journeys.
- Neal has had articles published on website optimisation on Usabilla.com and as an ex-research and insight manager on the GreenBook Blog research website. If you wish to contact Neal please send an email to email@example.com. You can follow Neal on Twitter @northresearch, see his LinkedIn profile or connect on Facebook.