Over 300 Digital Marketing Toolbox Solutions.
Updated 23rd June 2017
- This digital marketing toolbox Includes an extensive range of free and subscription digital solutions. This includes A/B and multivariate testing solutions, web analytics, image optimization, shopping cart abandonment, Voice Of the Customer tools and SEO keyword and link-building resources.
- Original posts explaining how to improve the performance of your digital marketing activity.
- Regularly updated and designed for the professional marketer, usability expert, website designer, developer or conversion specialist.
- See my glossary of over 250 conversion marketing terms and real examples from A/B tests.
Please bookmark this digital marketing toolbox to ensure you can find it when you next need it.
1. A/B testing tools:
A digital marketing toolbox should include A/B and multivariate solutions as these are essential for implementing a scientific approach to marketing . Check out my post here on how to choose an A/B and MVT testing tool, including user ratings and over 20 suppliers to select from. This now includes Artificial Intelligence (AI) testing and optimisation solutions.
For state of the art multivariate testing check out How is AI disrupting conversion rate optimisation?
For those organisations with a limited budget check out my post on How to get started with Google’s Optimize testing and personalisation tool.
In addition to help you decide what to test: How should you prioritise your A/B test ideas?
2. Abandonment recovery emails and onsite re-marketing:
For e-commerce sites dealing with cart abandonment check out my post on how to engage visitors who abandon your website and details of 9 suppliers to consider.
3. Address verification and auto-complete tools:
4. Books for digital marketing:
Any digital marketing toolbox should also include recommendations for books to read as not everything is available on the internet. Here is my post on 12 Awesome Books To Help You Optimize Your Website.
You can also read a review of The Growth Strategy That’s Being Ignored from Paul Rouke at PRWD.
5. Browsers and resolutions:
To identify technical problems with your site here are 12 Cross-Browser Testing Tools To Improve Your User Experience And Conversion.
6. Card Sorting (Remote):
To improve your information architecture and how your web pages are organised consider using online card sorting to improve your website navigation – 6 Online Usability Card Sorting Tools To Improve Website Navigation.
7. Competitor Analysis:
To track competitor website traffic you should consider a website traffic comparison tool. These allow you to evaluate competitors’ sites and compare traffic to your own website.
8. Cultural Dimensions By Country:
Many digital marketing toolboxes ignore cultural factors in website design and optimisation. For companies operating across multiple countries and cultures it is important that you adapt your site according to key cultural factors. See my extensive post on : What you need to know about cross-cultural website optimisation.
9. Design Feedback (Also see Usability Tools) :
Get expert of customer feedback on your designs – 9 tools for getting design feedback for websites and apps.
10. Email Marketing:
Email marketing is one of the most effective digital channels for generating leads and sales. Read my posts: 14 email address verification solutions to boost conversions.
For advice on the design of emails check out; How to use emails to encourage more click throughs.
11. Fold height:
See Above the fold in my conversion glossary for details of how the fold influences visitor behaviour.
1. Google Chrome Screen Resolution Tester: Resizes the browser window to view websites in different resolutions.
2. Scree Resolution Simulator: Test website usability with different screen resolutions.
3. Screenfly: Responsive screen testing on monitors, tablets, smart phones and more. http://quirktools.com/screenfly/
12. Headings & imagery:
Ensure your landing page headings and imagery align with customer expectations by using word association to identify what people automatically think about when they explore your sector or product.
1. Human Brain Cloud: A simple multi-player word association game which will display results for words that you enter at the end of the URL (after #view/)
2. Word Associations Network: Project Word Associations Network allows you to lookup associations with a given word.
3. wordassociation.org: Started off as a project and now claims to be the world’s largest database of word associations.
13. Image optimisation:
Reduce load speed and improve conversion by choosing from 14 image optimization tools.
14. Internal site search:
Evaluate your built-in search functionality by analysing key words used by visitors or use a third-party search tool provider.
3. Fusion Bot: A site search engine which offers search, site map and reporting. Being fully hosted it does not require software to be installed. Also offers e-Commerce search engine with search and navigation of your site.
4. Adobe Target: Search driven merchandising includes options such as auto-complete, a did you mean function, dynamic image options, multi-media use and decision-making refinements (filters). Allows for automated merchandising rules and enables customised result display (e.g. sorting options).
15. Live chat:
Improve engagement and reduce bounce rates by offering live interaction with customers whilst they are on your website.
Read my post – 8 top live chat solutions to increase sales.
16. Load speed for web pages:
Check out free solutions in the digital marketing toolbox to reduce page load speeds in – How to improve site load speed to increase conversions.
17. Navigation Guidance & App Tours:
Read my post: 9 Website onboarding solutions to improve conversions.
Here is my post 7 free buyer persona online tools to build your personas.
To understand how to create buyer personas and benefit your bottom line please read my post: How to use personas to improve conversion.
19: Product Ratings & reviews:
Social proof is one of the most powerful weapons in the digital marketing toolbox. Check out the top e-commerce product ratings and reviews solutions.
20. SEO Keywords:
Here is my post on How to do keyword research and 17 awesome tools to use.
You should also check out; How to use Google’s Search Console to Boost Conversions.
21. SEO Link Building & Site Audit Tools:
View my post – 20 Powerful Link Building Tools To Drive Traffic To Your Website.
22. Social media tools:
No digital marketing toolbox is complete without social media tools. View my post – Over 50 awesome tools to optimize your social media activity.
23. Stock Images (Free):
The use of stock images is often criticised by conversion experts because the same images are sometimes used by competing websites. They are also sometimes used inappropriately (e.g. to show a member of your customer services team when they are clearly a model).
However, when you have a limited budget, and provided you take care with selection, stock photos can be a great resource to convey relevant imagery on your website. Pictures are engaging and can instantly communicate emotions.
Here are 6 resources that provide free stock images and illustrations.
1. Flickr: The world’s largest online photo imaging and sharing application. A great website used by some of the world’s top photographers. Not all images can be used commercially so check first before you use a photo.
3. StocksPhotos.io: This is a community for high resolution images (over 27,000 to choose from).
4. rgbstock: Is a free resource of high quality photographs and graphics for illustrations, wallpaper and backgrounds.
5. Openphoto: An extensive library of stock photos which was established in 1998 and now has a huge selection of free images to choose from. Categories organised in thumb nails and also has a keyword search facility.
6. Freeimages: Most of the 6,000 images on file were either taken exclusively for the site or were sourced from contributing photographers and illustrators.
24. Surveys and user polls:
Click here for How to use online Voice of Customer tools to boost conversions – and 22 tools to reviewed.
25. Text Analysis – Word clouds:
A word cloud is an image composed of words used in a particular text or subject, in which the size of each word indicates its frequency or importance.
You can use word clouds as a way to visualise verbatim responses of users to surveys. complaints, problems or other feedback from visitors.
1. ABCya!: A word cloud for kids that may be relevant if your website is out interest to children. Type or paste text into the box below and press the arrow button to view the word cloud generated.
2. Jason Davies: A great tool if you want to generate a word cloud from a blog or website.
3. Tagcrowd: Allows you to set specific criteria for your cloud such as language, maximum number of words and minimum frequency. Allows you to create a word cloud from a URL or upload text from a document.
4. Tagxedo: Create word clouds from a URL, Twitter ID, Del.icio.us ID, news, search, RSS feed, uploading text or enter it yourself.
5. Tagul: A word cloud generator with advanced features including words inside words, rich font choices, roll-over effects, custom shapes, colours and fonts and export in vector formats.
6. WorditOut: Advanced filters allows you to filter the text to display or remove words and change their importance. Select your own layout by choosing your own colours, fonts, and sizes or let WorditOut find a random look for you. http://worditout.com/
7. Wordle: A simple word cloud generator which allows you to set the weights of words.
26. Tree Testing:
Tree testing or reverse card sorting is a usability technique used to evaluate how easy it is to find topics on a website using the navigation structure. Checkout my post: How to improve website navigation using tree testing.
27. Trust Assessment:
1. TrustRadius: Business software reviews from users, software comparisons and insights.
2. Web Of Trust: The WOT user community has rated over 36,000,000 websites. Check out how they rate your website. I have seen mixed reviews about how accurate the ratings are on this site, so proceed with caution.
Read my post – How to do usability testing to improve conversions – including 12 top solutions to use.
29. Video – Explainer Videos:
Video is becoming increasingly important for the digital marketing toolbox. Here is my post – How to create an awesome explainer video which includes a list of 111 studios and video production companies to choose from.
30. Video – Explainer Videos (DIY):
1. GoAnimate: Software to produce professional animated videos. Free trial available.
2. PowToon: Free software version available to produce your own animated videos.
3. VideoScribe: Make your own whiteboard videos fast. 7 day Free trial available.
31.Video Players (Including Hosting):
1.SPROUTVIDEO: A video hosting that allows you customise, publish and track videos online. Includes security, marketing and analytical tools. Sprout allows you to monitor the number of plays and impressions, including geographic location and the domains they are played on.
2. Vimeo Pro: A fully customisable and embeddable HTML5
player with advanced statistics, private review pages and 20GB of HD storage
each week, with no additional bandwidth limitations.
4. Wistia: Offers a Free version with Wistia branding that allows you to produce up to 25 videos a month and basic analytics. The paid for versions include HTML5 support, real-time analytics, playlists, custom skins, email embeds, popovers, video SEO, and more. Wistia’s video heatmaps show when users stop, start, skip, and re-watch your video.
32. Video Spokesperson:
33. Visual analytics (heatmaps & session recordings):
34. Visual Eye Tracking Heatmaps :
Eye tracking and facial coding solutions to optimise your digital content.
35. Web Analytics:
Read my post on the importance of the importance of web analytics and a review of 18 top free and paid for solutions.
36. Other Digital Marketing Toolboxes:
1. Conversion Ninja Toolbox: Tim Ash, Sitetuners, – author of Landing Page Optimization.
2. Conversion Optimization Toolbox: From Marketizator.
3. My Free Conversion Rate Optimization Toolbox: Rich Page – author of Website Optimization – An hour a day.
Wow, congratulations on getting to the end of this post. Please share using the social media icons below to prove you got this far.
Please contact me with any feedback or details of other tools that assist in improving conversion that you think should be included in the toolbox.
You can access all my posts on conversion, digital marketing and more here on my archive page.
- About the author: Neal provides digital optimisation consultancy services and has worked for brands such as Deezer.com, Foxybingo.com, Very.co.uk and partypoker.com. He identifies areas for improvement using a combination of approaches including web analytics, heuristic analysis, customer journey mapping, usability testing, and Voice of Customer feedback.
- Neal has had articles published on website optimisation on Usabilla.com and as an ex-research and insight manager on the GreenBook Blog research website. If you wish to contact Neal please send an email to email@example.com. You can follow Neal on Twitter @northresearch and view his LinkedIn profile.